Friday, September 23, 2011

Why the Utah DMV is CRAZY AWESOME

They are so awesome that really does need all caps.

I had to get my car registered on Wednesday.  I was dreading it because the last time I went to the DMV in California it took me 3 hours.  One hour waiting outside and another 2 inside.

So I wasn't looking forward to another DMV experience.  This is how it went.


I walked right in.  No line outside.  This lady handed me a slip of paper with #529 on it.  I walked into the room.  The loudspeaker said, "Number 528 at window 7.  Number 529 at window 1."  I stood there in shock for a second and then headed over to window #1.  The lady at the window was smiling.  I handed over all my paperwork.  She typed some stuff into her computer.  She held up 2 sets of license plates and asked me which design I wanted.  She told me it was $79 and I swiped my card.  I signed for the registration and title.  She handed me the plates.  I left.

This all took maybe 5 minutes.  I was absolutely giddy walking out to my car carrying my new license plates.  The people I passed probably thought I was crazy because I had a huge Joker-esque smile on my face, but I was so amazed.  The DMV lady was cheerful and nice.  That's definitely a first for me.  And they just handed me my plates.  I expected to have to wait several weeks for them to come by mail.  And it was only $79 for registration, title, and the new plates.  My California registration was $93 by itself.  And who ever heard of no wait at the DMV?  I asked the lady about it and she said the longest wait she'd ever seen there was 25 minutes.

I'm used to the DMV being this harrowing experience you have to psych yourself up for where people are rude to you and you're lucky if you make it out alive.  I was panicking while driving there because I forgot to bring a book with me and I didn't know what I'd do during the inevitably long wait.  I even considered stopping to buy some reading material.  But instead it was a blissfully simple and pain-free process.

I have to get a Utah drivers license sometime, once I find my birth certificate.  I will be looking forward to seeing if they are as good the second time around.



P.S.  I got lost looking for the building due to some confusion over east and west.  I ended up walking through this huge quilting convention at the Utah County Convention Center.  Room after room of quilts and quilting ladies.  Even the hallways were packed with booths and ladies with sewing machines.  They had this exhibition room you had to pay $3 to enter.  I was seriously tempted but figured I needed to find the DMV since they would be closing in 3 hours and I was worried about the long wait.  If only I'd known.  I should have gone back after the DMV, but I was still on my DMV high and didn't think of it.

No comments: