Tuesday, January 20, 2009

She's Still Got It

I spent many teenage afternoons sneaking in naps while Mom taught piano lessons downstairs. I've always been more of a "late to bed, late to rise" sort of sleeper and my desire for afternoon naps was considered somewhat criminal. But as long as I could hear the piano downstairs, I knew I could nap safely. My cue to wake up and hastily start doing my homework was when I heard Mom's voice move up the stairs. I probably squeezed in hundreds of naps using this technique.
I didn't get much sleep last night and had to get up at 5:00 am so when I got home from work today, I thought I'd take a short nap for an hour or so. I quickly fell into a deep sleep. The kind of sleep where a bomb could go off and I wouldn't wake up. I even slept through my alarm clock, which I never do. All of a sudden I heard Mom's voice in the hallway asking where Sierra was. I flew out of bed in a panic saying, "She's in here, she's in here." I couldn't help laughing at myself. After all these years Mom's voice is still the best alarm clock out there.

1 comment:

museumeg said...

I am in awe of the terror our mother can still inspire.