Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Borders Zone 14

Customer: Hi. I'd like to return this book.
Me: Okay, do you have your receipt?
Customer: No, it was a gift. They didn't give me the receipt/I don't want them to know I'm returning it.
Me: I'm sorry, we don't accept any returns or exchanges without a receipt.
Customer: Can't I just get store credit?
Me: No, I'm sorry. We don't accept any exchanges without a receipt.
Customer: Not even for store credit?
Me: No. I'm sorry, that is the return policy.
Customer: Well you used to take returns without a receipt. I've returned stuff here before.
Me: Yes, in the past we did. But our return policy changed about 2 years ago and we no longer take anything back without a receipt.
Customer (angry): Well what am I supposed to do with this book? I already have it/don't want it/feel like I am entitled to your store's money because I got a gift I don't want.
Me: I don't know. You could give it to someone else or donate it to a library or ask whoever gave you the gift for a receipt.
Customer: Well I never. I am never coming back here again. I can't believe this. I have never had such horrible customer service. (Customer storms out of the store.)

If I have to have this conversation one more time I am going to scream!

1 comment:

museumeg said...

People are so passive-aggressive. If they would just ask whoever gave them the book for a receipt instead of getting belligerent with you, life would be a lot easier.