Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Borders Zone - 4

#4 Because We Care

Today a bunch of us were in the back working in the warehouse. Bob (the one who moves things around at Target) was sorting the new books and he said, "Hey guys, I found a good one." Then he read the title of the book he was holding "Pretending You Care: The Retail Employee Handbook ." Then someone said, "You mean the Borders Employee Handbook." We all started snickering and then just busted up laughing.

I think it is just strange as a human being to put in a situation where you are required to care about 100% of the people you come in contact with (that includes listening to strangers discuss their gifted grandchildren, strange illnesses, diet failures and successes, problems with their child's teachers, dating problems, and political/religious views). So in the retail world some pretending is required. I suppose it is good practice for trying to become more Christlike. But until I'm perfect maybe I should pick up a copy of that book to help me get through the customer service part of my job.

2 comments:

Chandler said...

Finnaly catching up on everybody. You are so stinkin' funny! I miss you and love your sarcastic, hilarious personality. Keep the wit coming - I'm loving it. Love ya!

Chandler said...

That would be...Finally... Here I was thinking about what an amazing writer you are and I can't spell a thing. :0)