
Mom likes to use the expression "shooting yourself in the foot" when one of us kids screws up. According to UsingEnglish.com, if you shoot yourself in the foot, you do something that damages your ambition, career, etc.
Since high school I have unfortunately shot myself in the foot many times. It's a wonder that there is anything left to shoot at all and that I am not just hobbling around on crutches these days. Why do I get myself into these situations? It is usually some combination of mental illness, denial, procrastination, and just plain laziness. As the middle child of a large family I usually try not to rock the boat, for my own peace of mind and my family's. But sometimes keeping your problems to yourself just leads to a larger and more distressing problem in the future.
Mom actually took this one surprisingly calmly. Perhaps as an answer to my prayers or perhaps she is just used to my self-target practice and expects me to trip myself up. Probably some combination of the two. Megan and Jason surmised that I was no longer in summer school while they were here and suggested fabricating an even worse scenario. Jason suggested hiding "empties" under my bed for Lusita to find. I guess the idea is that even "academic disqualification" doesn't sound so bad next to "secret alcohol problem."
So please keep me in your prayers as I try to get back into school and pick up the pieces yet again. Look on the bright side, one of these days I'll have to either run out of bullets or toes.
1 comment:
I love you Lindsay. I have no worries about you. You will figure out what to do and there will be no stopping you. As far as I know there is no qualification for heaven that says you can't shoot yourself in the foot over and over again, it seems that is just part of this life for all of us in one way or another! You are a terrific sister and a fantastic Auntie! We love you tons!
Post a Comment