Saturday, March 24, 2012

Reading Pet Peeve

The other night I was reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness, which I do not recommend by the way.  I wasn't too jazzed about the book, but I figured I might as while finish it so I could find out how it all ended.  Sometimes if I don't finish a book or movie I find myself wondering six months later what happened to the characters (this especially happens to me with Lifetime movies which I never seem to finish). 

So I kept plugging away at the book.  It was 585 pages long, but it was a quick read, nothing too brain stretching.  At about page 500 I realized there was no way the author could wrap everything up in the next 85 pages.  She just kept adding more stuff with clearly no intention of resolving a single thing before ending the book.  I was steamed.  The only reason I kept reading the book in the first place was so I could see what happened and then get on with my life.  Now what am I supposed to do?  The sequel apparently comes out in July, but I don't really feel like reading it since I didn't like the first book.  So six months from now I will probably be driving or taking a shower and suddenly wonder what happened to those people.  Arrgh.

I think books that start off a series should have some kind of disclaimer on the cover.

No comments: